Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Protein packed Rice Crispy Treats

Ok, my kids love love love marshmallows  and I hate hate hate the ingredients. They are just junk, and even the ones found in natural food stores have some ingredients that make me nervous (gelatin from a fish source??) My son also really enjoys rice crispy treats and of course one of the main ingredients is marshmallows  so this week I decided to revamp the way I make rice crispys in order to get away from the marshmallows.

1cup brown sugar
1cup honey
3/4c Trader Joes Sunbutter
6c crisp rice cereal

In a large pot combine the brown sugar and honey and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly until sugar dissolves  Reduce heat and add in your Sunbutter and stir until smooth.  Pour in your rice cereal and stir to combine. Press into pan or make shapes if you desire. Then refrigerate for a few hours to to set.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment