Monday, June 10, 2013

Hideing Veggies while avoiding allergens : Quinoa Balls

Ok  now that summer is in full swing, and all those wonderful veggies and fruits are back on the table, how to get them in the mouths around that table? Particularly those veggies?  I picked up a copy of Jessica Seinfeld's Deceptively Delicious recently and while it is NOT allergen free, it is pretty easy to adapt. We have added 5 new meals that the kids gobble up without question so far! My 2 year old has eaten more vegetables this month than she has her entire life :) So, for this week I will be posting a new meal Monday thru Friday that is both allergen free and hides at least one serving of veggies.


I admit it- I lie to my kids and tell them these are rice balls, but when I came across the recipe I had white quinoa, not rice in the cupboard so that was what I used. Talk about a protein lift! These and some fruit were all I served and they really kept us full all evening, my hubby didn't even go in search of a snack later when the kids had gone to bed.

Quinoa Balls

3/4 cup quinoa, cooked according to package directions

1/4cup cooked chicken

1/2 cup sweet potato puree.
1/4 cup of your favorite vegan cheese shreds, I opt for Diaya or Tease
1/8cup non dairy milk (plain)

Combine the sweet potato puree, chicken, cheese and 1tsp salt in food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Pour into a large bowl  and add in cooked quinoa, along with some GF bread crumbs to get the mixture lumpy enough to roll into balls.
Roll into balls, place on a pan or plate and set up your wet/dry dipping area like you would for frying chicken.

Pour more GF bread crumbs into a shallow dish and set aside.
In another shallow dish mix 1 egg or flax egg with 1/2cup spinach puree.

Dip your quinoa ball in the spinach "egg" mixture, then roll in the GF breadcrumbs.

Pour oil in a pan, just like you would to fry chicken. Arrange balls in pan and fry, turning to brown all sides. Set the on a plate to drain when all sides have been browned. Serve with ketchup.

Amazing how well those veggies are hidden isn't it???

Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment