Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Allergen Free Sunbutter Cocoa Muffins

I frequently go into the kitchen knowing that I need to make something for my kids that is both good for them and will fill them up. They are eating machines right now! But I also frequently flip through my cookbooks with despair realizing that I don't have one or two ingredients and, sigh, am not in the position to just run to the store. And that is how most of the recipes on this blog happen. These super yummy, light and moist muffins are nothing short of the result of my forgetfulness in the grocery store :)  I try to make sure that snacks involve fruits or veggies, but when my kids are in an eating everything in sight phase adding protein in to keep them full for at least 2 hours is a must! This is one of the things I love the most about Sunbutter, and now Hemp Milk. We tried out the  Tempt brand in chocolate flavor this week, I figure it is best to east the kiddos into a new food by covering in chocolate when possible :)! It has a better texture than rice milk and the kids didn't blink, just asked for more.  So since I had Sunbutter and chocolate hemp milk on hand they were the basis for this recipe.

Sunbutter Cocoa Muffins

In a small bowl mix 1/2 cup rice milk with 2 tsp cider vinegar and set aside.

Preheat oven to 350, grease or line a regular muffin tin and a mini muffin tin or you could use 2 regular muffin tins, I like to use a mini for my little ones.

In a separate bowl mix 1/2 cup Trader Joes Sunbutter, 1/3 cup canola oil, and 2/3 cup brown sugar and 1 tsp vanilla. Mix well.

In yet another bowl mix 1 1/4 c Trader Joes GF flour mix, (as an aside I don't like this mix for pancakes, but in this recipe it worked great), 1/2tsp xanthan gum, 1tsp baking powder 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1/4 tsp salt

Combine the dry and wet ingredients and mix on low speed until fully combined.
Add the Cider Vinegar/rice milk mixture and mix again.
Now add in the Chocolate hemp milk, a splash at a time, until your batter is almost soupy in texture.

Pour into muffin tins and bake. About 10 min for mini muffins, 20ish for regular ones.

Mine didn't have that rounded top that most muffins do, but inside they were light and fluffy so it didn't matter.

Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment